Over the past weekend, an eighteen year old girl living in the United Kingdom was raced to the emergency room after becoming violently ill by consuming a mixed drink that contained liquid nitrogen. This lady was Gabby Scanlan and she first complained about shortness of breath and acute abdominal pain, before eventually collapsing and getting rushed to the emergency room. She had to have her own stomach extracted by surgeons who reported that she could’ve quickly been killed from the incident. She is still in aftercare within the infirmary and suffering from the damage the liquid nitrogen put on her entire body. She might need to go to a private alcohol rehab center soon after her time in the infirmary to continue to recuperate.

Liquid Nitrogens Purpose in The Food Industry

The use of liquid nitrogen in food and drink preparation is really a rather old practice. It was first used as a way to present foods in 1890 in order to make sophisticated ice confections, yet it’s now becoming a lot more popular. Restaurants and clubs around the globe are utilizing the chemical in their food and drink preparation since it not only instantly cools anything it touches, including glasses or drinks, but additionally produces a fantastic smoky appearance which resembles a witch’s cauldron. Liquid nitrogen cocktails have become popular at expensive night clubs because they are rather interesting and make the cocktails very frosty.

The Risks of Liquid Nitrogen

Liquid nitrogen boils at -321 degrees, meaning that it can cause immediate frostbite when it contacts human flesh. Nitrogen is a harmless gas which makes up almost 80% of the fresh air that we inhale, therefore the primary danger stems from just how freezing the liquid is. When the liquid boils and becomes a gas it expands its volume level over 600 times that of its liquid form, which could induce someones stomach to blow up if it is swallowed. It appears that is what happened to Scanlan is the waitress delivered her her drink too early and she consumed liquid nitrogen causing the chemical to expand profoundly in her stomach and requiring her to be rushed to the emergency room for operation to cut out her stomach. Physicians are actually saying that she was fortunate to have lived through the event and it’s a good thing she was taken to the hospital when she was.

Today, liquid nitrogen is not regulated in most nations worldwide and it can be used in restaurants and bars to create dishes and drinks that are unsafe. Scanlan ingested Jager and liquid nitrogen which caused her E.R visit and surgical treatment. She continues to be in aftercare at the moment still struggling with severe pain that occurred from her regrettable incident. She will probably need to go through private alcohol rehab once she is released from the hospital to continue to recuperate. This incident has raised the issue of whether liquid nitrogen needs to be regulated more in countries, especially when it’s used in serving food and cocktails.

October 27, 2012 at 8:52 pm by indyfootballreport
Category: Uncategorized